The calendar may say spring, but recent temperatures and weather patterns remind us that April can still be winter-like here in Maine. The arrival of spring break has kids (and parents) dreaming of the end of school and long summer days.
With warmer weather on the way, we thought it might be fun to dream a little and plan for your spring and summer on Casco Bay. Here are our top five ideas for your adventures:
- Take the Mailboat Run down the bay. Whether you live here, or you’ve got visitors in town from away, we think our Mailboat Run is hands-down the most interesting way to cruise Casco Bay! Twice a day the Maquoit II delivers mail and other goods to islanders and offers landlubbers a glimpse into island life (plus a gorgeous view of Casco Bay).
- Plan the perfect date night—pack a picnic and some wine for a romantic sunset cruise. Summer nights in Maine are near perfect – add in a cool ocean breeze and the beauty of Casco Bay, and what could be better? Our Sunset Run cruise lets you relax in the twilight of a perfect Maine day while Portland shimmers in the distance.
- Explore World War II ruins on Peaks Island. In its heyday, Battery Steele stood guard over Portland Harbor, keeping it safe from invaders during World War II. Today, the fortification stands empty, and ready for exploring.
- Starting June 23, hop on board the Aucocisco III for a can’t-miss summer classic—a trip to Bailey Island. In addition to being the home of Cook’s Lobster & Ale House, one of the island’s claims to fame is a one-of-a-kind bridge. The Cribstone Bridge was built in 1928 out of individual granite ties, and connects the island to the mainland. Its unique construction has kept the bridge standing strong for close to 90 years with little to no maintenance. Adding to the cool-factor, the bridge is the only one of its kind in the world!
- Dance the night away on a music cruise. Here’s some inside scoop: our first music cruise of the 2018 season is scheduled for June 16 at 8 p.m with The Hurricanes – keep an eye out, tickets should be available on our website in the next couple of days! All music cruises are 21 plus, feature a cash bar, and sail rain or shine.