Approximate travel time from Portland: 17 minutes one-way
Once known as the Coney Island of Maine, and later an important WW II outpost, Peaks Island today is a neighborhood within the city of Portland. Home to artists, retirees, commuters of all sorts and a substantial summer population, Peaks Island boasts a small town feel with unparalleled ocean views and access. Fourteen daily departures (20 minutes one way) from Portland make Peaks an ideal, family friendly destination.
Plan Your Trip
Your adventure begins at Forest City Landing, where Casco Bay Lines ferries have docked since the 1880’s.
- Head up the hill for one of Lisa’s famous cinnamon buns at the Peaks Café.
- Get your bearings straight by hopping on a golf cart with Island Tours, the preferred means of island transportation.
- Refresh yourself with lunch and ocean views at the Peaks Island House, Cockeyed Gull or the Inn on Peaks.
- Spend the rest of your afternoon exploring on foot or kayak or with a bike from Brad and Wyatt’s Bike Shop. Enjoy the breathtaking views from Backshore or from atop Battery Steele.
- Visit the Fifth Maine Museum for a glimpse into the island’s past and to see the newly restored battle flag of the Fifth Maine Regiment of the Civil War.
- Finish your day with a stroll along Island Avenue, where you’ll find Take a Peak, the Gem Gallery and the world’s only Umbrella Cover Museum.
- Of course, no island visit would be complete without an ice cream from Down Front.
Brad’s Island Bike Rentals & Repairs
115 Island Ave., Peaks Island, ME
Phone: (207) 766-5631
Maine Island Kayak
70 Luther St., Peaks Island, ME
Phone: (207) 766-2373
Sea kayak outfitter, instruction and sales
Casco Bay Lines Ferry Drop Off
1 Welch St, Portland, Maine 04108
Visit www.cascobaylines.com for ferry service information.
Peaks Island House
20 Island Ave., Peaks Island, ME
Phone: (207) 766-5100
Eighth Maine Regiment Living Museum & Lodge
13 Eighth Maine Ave., Peaks Island, ME
Phone: (207) 766-5086
Inn on Peaks Island-Inn & Restaurant
33 Island Avenue, Peaks Island, ME 04108
Phone: (207) 766-5100
Discover The Inn on Peaks Island – in the heart of Portland’s Casco Bay! Just 15 minutes by boat, it’s the perfect spot to take in an evening sunset or escape for the weekend, or a week. The Inn’s 6 Maine cottage-style luxury guest rooms feature: Jacuzzi tubs, private decks, and skyline views of Portland.
78 Island Avenue, Portland, ME 04108, USA
Phone: (207) 766-2800
The Cockeyed Gull, located a short distance from the Peak’s Island ferry dock, offers a friendly and intimate atmosphere for dining with family and friends. Both the open air deck and dining room offer outstanding views of Portland Harbor and the city skyline. On a clear day Mount Washington in New Hampshire can be seen. We look forward to welcoming you and offering you our traditional and innovative cuisine.