The entire Casco Bay Island Transit District (CBITD) team is deeply dedicated to the island communities we serve which depend on us for access to the mainland, and we have continued to operate throughout COVID-19 to uphold our mission to provide this service. Due to the risks associated with COVID-19, CBITD has made changes to our operations to protect our customers, employees and communities.
Before visiting our terminal or traveling on our vessels, please be aware of the following:
- A temporary reduction in service to all islands will be in effect until further notice. Please see our Coronavirus Resources page for more information or visit our Schedules page to view current schedule.
- In accordance with the Governor’s “Stay Safer at Home” Executive Order, all persons are required to wear cloth face coverings at all times when present at our facilities or onboard our vessels.
- At least six feet of physical distance from others, including our crew, should be maintained at all times. This includes while boarding, debarking, retrieving freight at the docks, or while underway on our vessels.
- Operations will include only regular service. The sale of all specialty cruise tickets has been halted. Full refunds will be issued for any pre-purchased specialty cruise tickets.
- CBITD will, until further notice, be limiting total capacity on the vessels in alignment with CDC guidelines and state requirements related to group gatherings and physical distancing.
- All passengers will be asked to rip their own tickets and place in a collection receptacle prior to boarding the vessel until further notice.
- Only ticketed passengers will be allowed to wait inside the terminal.
- Ticket and freight sales will be limited to credit card transactions only.
- All transit on CBITD vessels should be limited to those purposes permitted under the Governor’s orders.
- In accordance with the Governor’s Executive Order Establishing Arriving Quarantine Restrictions on Travelers in Maine, any resident or non-resident traveling into Maine must immediately self-quarantine for 14 days except when engaging in essential services. All who fall under this quarantine, and who must use CBITD for essential travel, should self-report to staff and will be directed to an isolated exterior section of the vessel for their travel.
- Only one Freight Agent will be on duty at any given time. There may be delays in any freight that requires extra handling. Large commercial deliveries will only be shipped on the 12:00 pm Downbay trip from Portland. Perishables and small personal items will continue to be shipped as soon as possible.
- CBITD will continue to operate unless and until we are completely unable to do so. We encourage customers to prepare for potential future operational changes and to review requirements before arriving at our terminal or traveling on our vessels.
Please visit our Coronavirus Resources page for more detailed information and to review all news updates related to COVID-19.